Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Wednesday, October 6

White Wednesday - Dotted Swiss

 Baby's Smocked Layette has a touch of smocking at the neck.
Pretty Dotted Swiss Fabric makes dainty Baby Clothes!

The Raglan Style of  Baby's Smocked Layette makes fit easy and comfortable. 
The sleeves are 3/4 length and smocked for a good fit.

If you look closely you might be able to see just a hint of pink beneath the dress.
I used a pink slip to give it a tinge of color.  I can change the slip to white for a pure white look.

Dotted Swiss fabric is an embellishment unto itself. You can't even notice the embroidered Rosebuds I stitched above the hem.
The hem is two lace insertions sewn together (and yes, I did match the laces), then stitched to a Scalloped Lace edging.  Simple, but it adds a dressed up look.  I love the look of the two lace insertions sewn together. 

This is also Baby's Smocked Layette made from a Lawn.
Hmm, for everyday wear!

Little bit of smocking at the neck and smocked sleeves.

This is the smocking design that was on the antique garment that inspired this pattern.
Notice the lower rows of cables.  You get a different (old fashioned look) by simply not lining up the cable rows.  The old garments never looked neat and precise (well, rarely) because they did not use a Smocking Pleater to pleat their fabric.  I like the old look!

This is my White Wednesday post for this week!  I show off pretty white clothes and join with Faded Charm.

All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2010 Jeannie Baumeister

2 comments:

antcan said...

Jeannie,

What lovely dresses, simple but so elegant. I may have to dig into my stash of dotted Swiss and lace to make that one.

Unknown said...

The dotted Swiss gown just takes my breath away!! So lovely!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails