Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Friday, August 28

Sew Sew Show and Tell English Nainsooks

Someone brought this old box of English Nainsook she was given.

You used to be able to buy some fabrics in a box of 10 yards.

The words English Nainsook is printed right on the fabric - as well as the yardage.

This fabric was often used for baby clothes and women's fine  undies!

A definition found on line:

Nainsooks was a fine, soft-finished cotton fabric, usually white used for lingerie and infants' wear of South Asian origin.

The meaning of the work Nainsook - Late 18th century: from Hindi nainsukh, from nain "eye"+sukh "pleasure"

I love that meaning!  Eye pleasure.

Click here for Information from an old  Good Housekeeping dated 1893.

I wish I could go shopping back in the 1920's. 

Just for a day!!


All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2015 Jeannie Baumeister

3 comments:

White Feather said...

I sure would be happy if someone gave me such a gift! Wow!

White Feather said...

And thanks for Good Housekeeping link! That was very educational.

TerriSue said...

You, and me too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails