Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Friday, March 24

Baby Bonnets - Anna Circa 1920



Anna's Circa 1920s Baby Bonnet

My friend Jamie, shared her treasured  baby clothes with me and allowed me to copy this sweet Bonnet! It was made for Anna Gordon Barrett Kelly in 1920 by her Mother, Virginia

I taught this Bonnet as a class for SAGA

 I used a Maline Baby Beading as Lace Insertion 
No Ribbon woven through. 

This Bonnet has three overlapping  triangles that make up the Brim. Each triangle is finished with a Lace Insertion and edged with gathered Lace. 

They are embroidered before cutting out, which is much easier. You can see the Old Fashioned Double Featherstitch in the photo here, which I love!  I used soft Green for the  stems and leaves and pink for Featherstitching and Rosebuds.  Each triangle is completed before attaching it to the Bonnet.  

A look at the lower edge 

The Ribbon Ties were  attached on the inside of the Bonnet and a pretty Ball Baby Button was stitched on the outside. Entredeux was used to finish the neck.


Side View
This is a lacy little Bonnet, with gathered Lace Edging all around the Bonnet, included around the crown on the back. I used Maline Lace which is the Queen of Heirloom Sewing - so beautiful. The edging used is 5/8" wide.

You can find Anna's Circa 1920 Baby Bonnet Pattern in my Web Shop if you would like to make one.

Happy Stitching!
Jeannie B



All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2023 Jeannie Baumeister

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails