Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Tuesday, July 31

Teaching Anna's Circa 1920 Baby Bonnet at SAGA

This is the Class project for Thursday and Friday at the SAGA National Convention.

SAGA stands for Smocking Arts Guild of America.  And this guild is all about preserving the fine heirloom sewing techniques like Smocking, Embroidery, Handsewing, Fine Machine Sewing and just about all the fine sewing you can think of.


This class is called Anna's Handsewn Baby Bonnet Circa 1920. I told you a bit about it HERE.
It is made from Swiss Nelona fabric and Maline laces.

Click on photo to see Antique Double Featherstitching better.
You can see the lace gathered around the bonnet crown in the back. 
It's a very elegant bonnet.  And the antique double Featherstitching is part of the class.  

 I learned the antique double Featherstitching from Miss Eula.  There are only a handful of people who know how to stitch it and I think it is very important to pass this technique along.  That is what I do when I teach.

This is also the class where you can use all those handsewing skills you've been learning, because this bonnet is made completely by hand.  A sewing machine can be very useful, but it doesn't give me the same pleasure and peace that I get from using my hands to stitch.


Here is the same bonnet in a pale blue.

I  Love this Bonnet!!


All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2012 Jeannie Baumeister

1 comment:

Kellie said...

If I have a granddaughter in December...I am making your bonnet! Love little baby girls in lacy bonnets!

Related Posts with Thumbnails