Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Thursday, January 31

I am not a Quilter - I'm a Stitcher!

I am making a Quilt. 

This is the first block from the fabric I chose for my 2nd son.
I'm stitching it by hand.

Daisy  from Cottage Creations and a Friend helped me pick out the fabric to go together.
I had no idea it could be so difficult.  It took over 3 hours to decide on the fabrics! And I already knew I wanted the primary color to be red.  And I knew what the pattern would be!
Who knew how many different reds there would be to choose from!

I think it was the feeling of a "long term comittment" that made me so  picky.

They do go together well, don't they? I find that I love piecing them. 
It's easy, mindless and soothing!  I do it when my mind is too tired to work on my favorite stitching, which is baby clothes.

I call it Third tier stitching.

First tier is where you need to pay total attention to what you are doing or you are likely to have a mishap.  Like machine construction and fine embroidery.  I am permitted soft music in the background.

Second tier stitching is where I can listen to songs with words or books on tape (not too exciting, though).  That would be easy embroidery and repetitious stitches.  I can work Bullions, Featherstitching, Pinstitching,  etc.  and Smock.

Third tier stitching - well, I can talk, watch TV and listen to even exciting books on tape.  I can do anything!  It's just my hands going, not my mind.  Some smocking is like that too.  
Simply Soothing.  

This is my oldest son's quilt -to-be.  
I   showed it to him and he liked it. I had already decided that if he didn't like it,  I did. So I wasn't worried.   Blue is his favorite color.  And mine. I love the  three fabric combinations.  My second son   asked for red.  I like his too.  

On Thursday evening (tonight!), I walk three houses down the street to sit and stitch on my quilt blocks with Bernadette (who is a Quilter).   She does everything by hand which appeals to me.

Right now I am simply joining pretty  pieces of fabric together with the Running Stitch.

It's what I like!


All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2013 Jeannie Baumeister

2 comments:

Morning Musings over Coffee said...

My mother was a quilter, she made several hand stitched quilts for each of her kids and grandkids, then changed to machine sewing the quilt tops together, then hand quilting them. When she passed, I inherited a couple of her finished tops and all of her material. I had to ask my sister-in-law to show me how to hand quilt so I could finish the tops. Almost 10 years loter, I am still working on the large quilt she left, but I have learned so much while working on it and enjoyed so many memories that I am not sure I want to ever finish! :-)

Used-to-Bees said...

Those quilts are going to be fabulous! I love the colours you've chosen and am in awe of you for hand-stitching the pieces together! I just finished a lap quilt a couple of days ago which I'd hand-quilted, but the piecing was done by machine. I couldn't imagine doing that bit by hand!
x

Related Posts with Thumbnails