Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Sunday, September 20

How to make the Yoke on Londyns Nightgown



Londyn in her new Nightgown!


But you can use any yoke pattern to make this design.

I made Londyn a size 3 (she will be 3 in 2 months).  She is smaller than average so it is a bit large but I want her to be able to wear it next spring.  I shortened it so it would not be too long.

I worked a bear in Shadow Embroidery and stitched some surface embroidery.



I cut a block of fabric and traced the embroidery onto the yoke so I could embroider before the yoke was cut out.



The embroidery design of the Teddy Bear is on page 27 of my book


I changed the eyes to sleeping eyes.  And I had to re draw the ends of the vine to fit on the Yoke.

Be sure to mark the stitching lines of the yoke at neck and yoke Botton  to line it up correctly.

DO NOT cut on the stitching lines.

I also reduced the bear to 90% size

You can use any design you want to embellish your yoke.




Then, I stitched Lace Insertion to either side of the Center Yoke.

And ran a fine Poly ribbon under the lace to give me a pretty touch of color.

I stitched Pink Bias Binding to the neck edge.



I drew each Lace Line  2 1/2" from the Center Front. I lined up the inside edge of the lace along that line.  Depending on the size Nightgown and the Lace you use, you might need  to move the lace closer to the Center Front....or farther away.  I think this would also look very nice with  Lace Insertion that is just a tad narrower, stitched between tucks.

I stitched the lace first, then ran the ribbon under the lace.  Then I stitched top and bottom to keep the ribbon in place during construction. 


This is Angel Lace Insertion. Isn't it lovely?

The lace is about 5/8" wide.


The gown is pink but the front yoke is white to allow me to stitch the  pink Teddy Bear.

I used a narrow Swiss Edging (one of my favorites) along the lower edge of the gown to finish it.  I rolled and whipped it. 

The pink fabric I used is Imperial Batiste which is 60" wide, so I was able to use one piece of fabric for the front and back. That makes this sooooo easy peasy!!

My pattern has directions for 45" fabric or 60".


I stitched love into this little nightgown:)

Sweet Dreams, precious girl!

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."
Matther 11:28






All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2020 Jeannie Baumeister

3 comments:

Becky said...

What a precious girl in her new nightgown. It's all perfection, every little detail! She will always remember the love you put into it.

The Old Fashioned Baby said...

Thankyou Becky!

Unknown said...

Jeannie I came across your blog when researching heirloom children's clothing. Your work is so delicate and beautiful. I found someone to make boys shirts for ring bearers on Etsy. However I was wondering if you come across anyone who would sew for others? I hope to have grandchildren someday and would love to have some beautiful clothes for them.
Thank you!
Rebecca

Related Posts with Thumbnails