Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Saturday, January 16

Vintage Book with Shell Hem Instructions


Page from the book Fabrics and Dress, copyright 1931.
I love the Shell Hem.  It is so dainty and sweet.  It is also a soft, comfortable and decorative way to finish the neck and armholes of a baby slip.  There are different methods of working the Shell Hem.  I use this method where two stitches are thrown over the edge of the hem to create the indentation or 'shell'.  I like it because it is sturdy and I like to do things the Old Fashioned Way. I have seen this method described in old books (like the one featured), although this book does not use the running stitch as I do.  The vintage Baby Gertrude Slips I have seen used this method done with the running stitch, same as me. Click here for a Lesson.

2 comments:

julia said...

I sometimes do the shell hem with my sewing machine. This is much prettier, of course!

Jeannie B. said...

I will do a post of the shell hem technique I do on my machine.It is almost a different technique. I love hand work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails