Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Saturday, April 2

Pink Saturday - Linen Baby Dress

This little dress was made by Theresa.
This sweet baby dress is made from wonderful Irish Linen.  The Lilly of the Valley Lace that embellishes it is a favorite of mine.  

The pattern calls for lace insertion to be stitched at the yoke on either side of the center front.  But Theresa used lace edging instead of insertion and I really like the way it looks.  



The view that was used for the pink linen Dress is the one just above the slip.

And there are three cute Dresses, an Apron, a Slip and a Bonnet.  Plus embroidery designs! 

Pink Saturday with How Sweet The Sound!






All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2011 Jeannie Baumeister

6 comments:

Kellie said...

Pink is for Precious!

Linwood & Margaret said...

My mother always used Lily of the Valley lace on my clothes she made by hand (it was her favorite). I am 65 years old and I used the same lace on my grandchildren clothes.

nonie everythingsewing said...

What a sweet little gown.

Nonie

Sewconsult said...

So sweet. I wish I knew that my niece-in-law would be appreciative if I made something similar for the baby girl she is expecting. I am itching to make a layette, but after 2 little boys, I have a feeling, she is more into jeans and a shirt.
Beckie

RebeccaM said...

Beautiful dress! After nearly 11 years of marriage my son and daughter-in-law are eagerly awaiting the birth of their first child. I told them I would wash and iron handmade dresses if they would occasionally dress the little one in them. Question about lace insertion: how sturdy is the seam if you trim away the fabric after zigzagging or hemstitching lace insertion to fabric?

Jeannie B. said...

Rebecca, The sturdiness of the seam depends on how you finish the fabric/lace after trimming it away. My patterns that have you add lace will give you my way of doing it. And there are books that can help too. But no matter how you finish the seam , it will not be as sturdy as leaving the fabric behind the lace. But if you are careful with the garments they will do fine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails