Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Saturday, March 22

Sweet Bonnet and Slip to Match

I just love a matching Baby Bonnet.
It goes with the White Baby Dress from yesterdays post.

The embroidery design is a different scale of the one on the dress.

You've seen this slip before!


All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2014 Jeannie Baumeister

2 comments:

WendyBee said...

Oh, Jeannie, you make it look so easy to get the right look and proportion of embroidery, tucks and lace together. Do you have any "rules" you follow? Or is it just experience and trying different things over the years. I've looked at a lot of baby things and while some are appealing, others look like they are drowning in lace or detail, and still some others are overly (yawn) simple. There seems to be a fine line between embellished and cluttered, and you always seem to have a subtle, artistic hand. Can you tell that I admire your work? My long-term quest is to learn to make some things from your patterns, using the same materials, but then to adapt the same patterns for fabrics for colder climates. The batistes and such are practical only about 6 months of the year up here in Maine, so my quest is to find the softest, finest warm fabrics to use for heirloom-quality garments. Thanks so much for your inspiration. I don't think I ever miss a post.

Jeannie B. said...

Thank you WendyBee! I don't have rules to follow. I design what is pleasing to my eye. But what you see is not always my first draft of the design. And sometimes not the 2'nd either. I make it up and don't like something so I make it again until it is just the way I want it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails