Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Monday, October 2

French Acadian Gown /Baby Shower



This is my finished Baby Gown for my new Granddaughter, due in November.

I used my French Acadian Christening Gown and shortened it to a Gown length (about 21 0r 22").

The shower was Sunday, October 1st and I stitched  for a solid month on the gown to complete it on time.

I am totally enthralled with this gown and I have more photos to show in the next post.

May this Baby Girl be showered with Grace.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this! I have a general question about heirloom embroidery. What is the correct way to start and end your stitches and how to you keep it neat on the back of your work? I'm about to begin my first project, your baby daydress pattern and I'm working with very sheer fabric. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Unknown said...

I love this! I have a general question about heirloom embroidery. What is the correct way to start and end your stitches and how do you keep it neat on the back of your work? I'm about to begin my first heirloom project, your baby daydress in view 3 with all the beautiful embroidery and I can't find any info on how to start and end. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jeannie B. said...

The main thing about starting embroidery or finishing or generally how to keep the threads neat on the back and minimize the treads the best you can. I can't really explain it in a comment. The tie on depends on the stitch used and there are more than one way to tie on. An away waste knot is acceptable for most stitches because you can usually go back and tie off after your stitching has begun.http://oldfashionedbaby.blogspot.com/2010/08/away-waste-knot.html Only carry threads on the back of the fabric when neccesary… for instance, I would tie off after each Bullion. You must carry the thread for French Knots. You might check locally and see if there is a Smocking Arts Guild nearby or a shop where you can take a class. Seeing in person is wonderful. Books will help too.

denise said...

I love and own every one of your precious patterns.
Since you recently made the acadian baby gown can you please clarify the hemstitching on the bodice?
How do you tie off the vertical pulled threads on the bodice prior to the hemstitching? I have your kit from years ago and it is waiting for me :)

Thank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails