Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Tuesday, November 16

Baby Charlotte's Dress

This is the Baby Dress that Charlotte is wearing in the last post,

I used my pattern Old Fashioned Baby Layette.
And a sheer white Swiss Fabric, like Nelo.

The yoke has Lace Insertion and Tucks.


The Lace Insertion was stitched onto the fabric, between the Tucks,  using a Machine Pinstitch done on a Pfaff sewing machine. I did NOT cut the fabric from behind the lace. This gives it a more subtle look and it also is more stable for a Dress that you hope will be well worn by your little one.

The neck is finished with Baby Entredeux and  embellished with Maline Lace Edging.


I used Swiss Beading at the sleeve because it enables you to adjust the size with a ribbon.


I made a slip to wear under the Dress.
A Dress always looks better with a slip!

I worked a Shell Hem by hand around the neck. It is a pretty and decorative stitch that is very soft way to finish the edge.

The hem is finished with a hand stitched Scalloped Hem.  In the center of the Scallop I have stitched an old fashioned Rosebud.

She is a Newborn here so the Dress is a bit large but the short puff sleeves with ribbon ties make it manageable.

Charlotte Elizabeth 💗

Small flat Pearl button down the back.


All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2021 Jeannie Baumeister

2 comments:

Kathy said...


Your featherstitch is always so exquisite. I love this version of the daygown.

Andrea H. said...

So beautiful, both the baby and the dress. I always have grand plans to make beauties for future grands, but I’m terrified of messing up and wasting precious materials. I just need to do it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails