Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Tuesday, January 25

The Art of Smocking - History Part 3

Smocking.
This is one of the Smocking Designs shown in my Priscilla's Smocking Book, circa 1925.

The Cable Stitch is the basic stitch used in smocking.



The information about the Double Cable Stitch above suggests that this is not a stitch for the beginner.  

Pretty Waves.

Another pretty Smocking Design

This book gives some basic instructions but it would be difficult to learn to smock from them.  

There are several good books available today to learn to smock.   And if your lucky, you live near someone who can teach you.


All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2011 Jeannie Baumeister

2 comments:

Teri said...

I wanted to let you know i featured you on my blog and facebook under Who is your sewing Inspiration blogs?

Sewconsult said...

I am struck by the crisp pleating. Of course, the work was done well before our pleaters. The precision of the double cables is envious.

When I was a toddler (early 50's) my mother did the American smocking technique that was popular. When I learned English smocking, she was amazed at the pleating and sizing that went into each project. English smocking always looks tidier than American smocking to me.
Thanks for the pictures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails