Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Monday, December 26

About Baby Bonnets.

Pink Bonnet is made from Swiss Flannel fabric.
I love Baby Bonnets!
And I love Babies in bonnets.

This used to be in my OFB Shop, used as a display.
I meet many nice people in my line of work. And I find Sewing ladies to be extra nice people.  One  lady I met was a Doll Maker many years ago and she would sew for her dolls.  I think Carmel is now in her 90's, and she has given me this beautiful doll head that was mounted on a stand. 

 Perfect for displaying Baby Bonnets.

I used my pattern "Antique Christening Bonnet Collection" to make this bonnet.
This pretty little bonnet was featured in the September/October 2011 issue of Sew Beautiful magazine (page 54).  The article did not have the Bonnet pattern in it but it did have all the instructions to create this Snail Shirred ruffle.  And the embroidery design, too.

Snail Shirring (a name I kind of made up) is an old technique used to gather fabric in a pretty way.  

I added a pretty Rosette to each side using Silk Satin Ribbon.  I do have a kit for a different bonnet with instructions for Snail Shirring. But not as warm and snugly as this one.

I have a few more Bonnets to show you in the coming days....






All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2011 Jeannie Baumeister

2 comments:

Kellie said...

Beautiful Work! I agree... sewing folk tend to be happy folk!

Jan M said...

What a charming display! I don't recall seeing it when I visited your shop. Maybe she had not yet arrived! I love bonnets, and love to give them as gifts. If the baby doesn't wear it, surely one of the dolls or teddy bears can!

Related Posts with Thumbnails