Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Monday, May 28

Paris - Marble Baby Bonnet

I was drawn to this marble bust of a Baby wearing a Bonnet or Cap.

I wanted to get closer to see what stitches and lace might have been used but of course this in only a vague replica of the original bonnet worn hundreds of years ago.

So, you have to imagine what the stitches and materials were.

I am thinking fine white linen with handmade lace.  The lines are some kind of openwork.  Bermuda Faggoting perhaps.   I want to make this Bonnet.  

I think I will.

We were...
at the Louvre.

I loved the paintings of women wearing filmy white dresses with lace.

Two of my favorite things....Daughter and Granddaughter!

And a few more of my favorites follow....can you believe we could take pictures? 


My all time favorite was Michelangelo.
It was the first time I had seen anything in real life that he did.
 
Amazing...truely.


I have a thing for tough men and babies!

It reminded me of the very first Australian Smocking mag I ever laid eyes on. There was this cute Aussie man with no shirt on and he was holding a baby.  I was very surprised.

Afterward, we went to the Tuileries Garden for a picnic and a rest.

Another wonderful day!




All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2012 Jeannie Baumeister

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think rows of ruching with some pretty Swiss beaded trim on top. Like I know! Ha ha. Now, a knit bonnet - I could do that! Love the Paris posts. K

Related Posts with Thumbnails