Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Wednesday, September 28

Saga 2016 - Fancy French Yokes


On Wednesday we had our first Convention Class.
I taught Fancy French Yokes.

It was a class on how to design your own yoke and the Machine French techniques needed to do this.

We talked about a  Lace Design on the Yoke.


And how embroidery needs to be balanced.

The embroidery on the dress above is the same design as the picture before it.  But with an added technique.  Hemstitching. The lace in the center was hand hemstitched to the yoke.  Some of my students continued on in my class the next day where they stitched the Hand Hemstitch.  It can also be Machine Hemstitched if you have the sewing machine to do it.


We talked about stabilizing the yoke when it is made with lots of lace.
In the above dress (Antique Toddler Dresses pattern) the yoke is a square yoke.  The ruffle has been added to it to create the look of a round yoke.

I love designing and I was pleased with the designs my students came up with!
I hope they learned lots.  

 "A Lovely Yoke will bring a persons eye naturally up to the childs sweet face.  And this is where it should be.  The garment should not overshadow the child but rather enhance and flatter the one wearing it.  The rest of the garment can take embellishment cues from the techniques stitched on the Yoke but should never outshine the Yoke."
Jeannie B. 2017




All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2016 Jeannie Baumeister

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails