Fine Heirloom Sewing, Smocking and Hand Embroidery

"Baby will be well and smiling in little garments made by Mother, Auntie, Grannie and loving friends!"

Please join me as I teach the old fashioned techniques and skills needed to sew baby clothes. You will find lessons that start at the very beginning and take you step by step as we sew little baby clothes together. May you find much joy and pleasure in making them.
It's easy and it's fun!!

Visit My Heirloom Sewing Webshop www.oldfashionedbaby.com




Thursday, December 29

Pretty Blue Baby Bonnet.

This Baby Bonnet features a fabric tie instead of Ribbon.
Todays Baby Bonnet comes from my OFB pattern "Baby Layette".

Although I did make up a different design than the pattern Bonnet, the basic bonnet is the same.  Fabric is Swiss Nelona Batiste.

I love this zig zag Baby Lace Insertion.
I used the Tuck Guide that is included in the pattern for the French Daygown.  Then I used an embroidery design from My Embroidery  Book and stitched Lace Insertion on either side of the Tucks.

I stitched a Fancy Entredeux to the bonnet edge (which is unlined - unlike the pattern) and wove soft pink embroidery floss through each hole of the entreduex.

Added softly gathered Lace Edging to the ends of the Bonnet Ties, which I have hand sewn (easy peasy to do!).

I folded the upper part of the Bonnet Tie  into tiny pleats and wrapped floss around it to keep it all together and then stitched it onto the Bonnet edge.  And sewed a pretty old Pearl button on top of it.

The Bonnet Crown had the same pretty treatment of Tucks and Lace (again, using the Tuck Guide in the pattern).

I think Pinstitching the Lace to the fabric would make this Baby Bonnet extra lovely.

"Beautiful Bonnets are welcome in Babys' wardrobe year round and can serve  a useful purpose.  They keep baby warm in cold  weather, and shade the eyes in  summer.  Bonnets accent  Baby's pretty face as well!"




All Designs Are Copyright Protected copyright 2011 Jeannie Baumeister

5 comments:

Miss Holly said...

I just want to thank you for all you give to us out here ! You are a wonderful teacher and a wonderful person ! I love following you . You have been a great inspiration to me this year... Happy New Year to you and yours and God Bless......

Angela Lee said...

What is pinstitching? And do you always do your tucks by hand or do you use a machine? I just bought a new presser foot for my Viking that does pin tucks. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. lol
Angela

Jeannie B. said...

Pinstitching or Pin Stitching is also called Point de Paris stitch. It is actually a hand stitch where you create "holes" in your fabric by the way the fabric is manipulated when you stitch. Many of us have paid alot of money to get sewing machines that will replicate this stitch. I love it! See an example here - http://oldfashionedbaby.blogspot.com/2011/07/pink-baby-rose-dress.html

Angela Lee said...

I don't suppose you have a tutorial that teaches this? I would love to learn how to do it. It really is beautiful. I use a wing needle on my smocked gowns that do something similar right at the edge of the sleeve. I'm not sure it would work here, but maybe I'll give it a shot.
Thanks Jeannie.

Jeannie B. said...

Angela, I do my tucks by both hand and machine. The ones on this bonnet were stitched by machine. I used an edge stitch foot to help keep them straight. Good idea for a Machine Pinstitch tute. Be looking for it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails